What I'm Sippin'

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Dining Room Re-Do

Since our community garage sale was canceled last weekend (for the second time, grrrr) I thought it would be the perfect time to go ahead and tackle the project of painting our dining room. I've been debating about what to do with it since before we even moved in. Do I like the dark red, do I not??? If we painted it, what color would we do??

We have a pretty open floor plan in the "living spaces" of our house. The entry, living room, dining room and kitchen are all pretty open to each other. I won't even get started on what's going on in the kitchen right now - that's a whole other thing. But the rest of the open spaces are mostly a neutral two-tone color (light tan on top, dark brown below the chair rail). I'm really happy with those colors; they seem to kind of go with everything we have. The red that's been in the dining room is nice, it just always felt a little too dark for us. While our house is nice is open, it's not really big so we need to maximize space where we can.

So, we decided to paint. We felt like it might make our space feel a little more seamless if we just continued the colors from the living room into the dining room. And, let's face it, it was the easiest decision since we already had the paint and pretty much knew how it would turn out.

And off to Home Depot we went for our weekly Saturday morning trip :) We got brushes, rollers, tape, primer, more paint, etc. Now, I have to preface that Matt and I have never really painted anything inside a house. Matt said he sort of had before, but once we actually got into it and I started asking questions, he quickly admitted he really didn't know much about it! Let's get to the facts shall we... it took us 2 hours to tape off all the trim and crown molding. Then took us another 3 and half hours to prime. Now I know this probably sounds like a lot of time for a tiny room to those who are more experienced painters, but we stepped back and asked ourselves questions and doubted the experience the entire way through. On Sunday we finished with the actual paint and that took about 3 hours total. When we bought the house I thought all the trim and crown molding was wonderful and pretty. Now I just think it's a big pain in the butt!!

So, you decide for yourself. Do you like the red better or the two-tone neutral?

XO



No comments:

Post a Comment

THE NASHVILLE WATSONS